Sunday, 15 April 2018


There are three windows in the study of Orchard House, two on the right hand wall of the set. They are sash windows made up or two sections, each with 9 panes of glass (3x3). To replicate these windows I studied reference pictures, both internal and external of Orchard House and other sash windows from a similar period. I particularly wanted to replicate the intersection of the batons.

I started with sections of 2mm styrene for the main window frames. I added 1mm styrene for sections on either side that would run in the grooves of the mdf window space to keep the lower of the two sections in place. I then added hexagonal section styrene strip, sanded into half hexagon shape as the batons, cutting at an angle at the intersections.

The styrene was attached to a sheet of green acrylic with Plastic Weld, being careful to keep the spaces even following the full size diagram based on estimates from Orchard House photographs.

The half hexagonal styrene strip gives a good representation of the intersection of the batons.

A card mould box was made with a glue gun around the styrene and acrylic window.

A RTV silicone mould was made from the window. 

Several copies of the windows were then made in fast cast resin. 8 in total for the two sets of windows. Any surplase resin was trimmed with a craft knift.

Two paired together for each half of the window. The upper set will have the side sections removed and will be glued in place. The lower sections will run up and down the groove in the MDF, these are the one closest to the inside of the room. 

I decided to not include a clear styrene pane between the two white styrene halves to avoid reflection when filming though this could easily have been added though it would have increased the depth of the window by 1mm. 

This is how the bottom half of each window looks in the finished set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.